I have chosen a conflict management and discipline tool to use with students when there is a conflict or issue at hand. It is imperative that I, as a school leader, behave with integrity, fairness, respect and always in an ethical manner. I believe that as the leader I must be the one to set the tone and create a culture and climate of truth and honesty. This climate promotes and sets high ethical expectations for all staff and students. I use the following rubric when handling a situation with a student (s):
Conflict Resolution Tool
1. Recognize an Issue
- Determining how the issue crosses ethical boundaries
- Ethical boundaries are important to consider when dealing with any issue. Boundaries may include: gender, race/ethnicity, academic history, etc.
2. Get the Facts
- Utilizing Due Process with all parties
3. Evaluate All Options
- What consequence is the most logical and fair
- What consequence serves the school community best
- What consequence is the most fitting for the individual
4. Make a Decision
- After considering all options, make a decision
5. Reflect on the Outcome
- Did my decision accomplish the right outcome?
- Was my decision implemented well?
- What did I learn from my decision?